- gs lillian says she is more comfortable in a dress or skirt than in jeans. Are you the same? It’s not hard to see why, she always looks fabulous in dresses and skirts! (find gs lillian on twitter!)
- lex and learn makes a very delicious looking semi-homemade pumpkin bunt cake – get her simple trick for this fall treat! (find lex and learn on twitter!)
- simply bold just snagged a gorgeous pair of leather shorts… check out how she styles them up for fall!
- rachael, really looks absolutely adorable in her denim shorts plus knee high socks plus hunter boots! What a fun combo! (find rachael, really on twitter!)
- take me for a twirl is totally rocking this bright green blazer – I am loving these looks! (find take me for a twirl on twitter!)
- little girl in a big world does a fall weekend on the beach – check out her trip and live vicariously through her! (find little girl in a big world on twitter!)
- everyday mom style wears a great patterned top to work, but wonders… is the pattern too much!?!? I don’t think so, I love it! (find everyday mom style on twitter!)
- fabulously average shows you ladies how to layer even if you live in a warmer climate! So cute! (find fabulously average on twitter!)
- a spot of whimsy rounds up her favorite fall looks – and they are all just swoon worthy! Head on over and see her inspiration! (find a spot of whimsy on twitter!)
- the style dossier lists their top reasons why fall will rock – such a fun list! (find the style dossier on twitter!)
- sweetie pie style rounds up cozy and unique ways to add blankets to your home decor this fall! These photos all look so warm and cozy! (find sweetie pie style on twitter!)
- chic or treat finds these adorable velvet flats in several colors for such a steal! Stop by her blog to find out where to snag them! (find chic or treat on twitter!)
- high heels and bubble gum puts together a fab outfit with white pants – yes, after Labor Day – that is perfect for fall! (find high heels and bubble gum on twitter!)
- behind the dressing room door rounds up her top picks for Anthropologies recent 30% off sale! I am loving this gorgeous camel coat! (find behind the dressing room door on twitter!)
I know, it’s a corny title, but it’s the best I could do. This outfit is for work, but I’m pretending that I’m going to go out on my friend Livi’s boat today- and if so, this is what I would wear! (Plus I’ve always loved that song by Styx- yes, I’m that old!).
I am excited that stripes are so popular- because I LOVE them so much! I have at least 5 different striped shirts- most are blue and white- as shown here. This cute one if from Anthropologie, and while it’s fine on it’s own (notice the cute gathered sleeves), I feel like it needs something more. To add some polish to my look, I added my new Land’s End blazer (from Sears!), my leopard belt (are you sick of seeing this yet? I’m not!) and a strand of pearls. I have my skinny jeans with the lighter wash and a pair of neutral ballet flats.
It may not be cutting edge fashion, but my belief is that by not being super trendy and by sticking to the classics- I will always feel appropriately dressed. To keep the look modern, I like to throw in 1 unexpected piece (hence my favorite- the leopard belt). Now I’m ready for a boat ride, work, running errands, or even volunteering at school- wherever my day takes me!
Jeans: Nordstrom Rack, Shoes: Nine West, Shirt: Anthropologie, Blazer: Sears, Belt: Target, Necklace: Forever 21
- It seems like every style blogger I read has shown this year’s must have item- a military style utility vest.
- I loved mine so much I ended up buying two! I got my vest at Old Navy, (as seen here, scroll down to August 25th) then I stumbled across this utility jacket at Marshalls and knew I had to have it. It is so versatile- as seen in these pics. To participate in this week’s Work it Wednesday, (where you try 1 piece 3 different ways- see more ideas here), I paired it with 3 totally different looks to show you how easy it is to throw this piece on almost over anything- and voila, you’ve got style (and warmth)! I’ve also linked up with The Pleated Poppy, What I Wore Wednesday, so there are lots of great looks out there for you to see, check them out!
- Which one is your favorite? I think mine is the one with the skirt- it’s so unexpected, yet it works! There are so many ways to wear this piece- if you haven’t already bought one- go get yours now!
Yesterday I talked about how Jessica Quirk, from What I Wore, said to always dress in 3’s, and then here I am today breaking the rule, or am I? Today I’m wearing a patterned blouse, black dress pants and pointy toed heels. But, if you look closely- I have still followed the rule of dressing in 3’s by adding 3 accessories. I added a skinny belt, a black bracelet and a Van cleef Arpels knock off necklace that my mom picked up at the Palm Desert flea market- (thanks mom!).
In the photo on the right I show this blouse just worn plain- untucked. Nothing special…
On the left layered it over a black tank, tucked the blouse in, added accessories and now I’m ready for work. This blouse I bought at Marshalls for $15. I have mixed feelings about it. I think it’s fun because I rarely wear patterns, and I almost never wear green- but the pattern is a little wild. I think it works?! What do you think? Is this pattern ugly? Or is it ugly/ cute?
Heels: Nordstrom, Pants: Nordstrom, Blouse: Marshalls, Bracelet: Kohls, Belt: Ann Taylor
I love fall- and it seems like most people do. What is it? The cooler weather? Back to school? College football? For me, it’s the clothes! Today is a typical fall day in the Pacific Northwest- it’s grey, rainy and mild temperature.
Once again, I am showing how to build an outfit. I started with my skinny jeans and a purple shirt. Just these 2 items alone are boring! So, I’m taking advice from Jessica Quirk- of What I Wore. She advises you always dress in 3’s. I knew this to be true when decorating (group collections of things in three’s), but it’s also true for building an outfit.
Following this advice I added a grey grandpa style cardigan. I’ll admit- when the salesgirl at J Crew suggested I buy this, I hesitated. I thought there was no way I would wear that. Luckily, she convinced me and I’m so glad. I’ve had this sweater for almost 2 years now and I wear it all the time. The grey is a great neutral color and I can throw this sweater on over any skinny pants and add style and hide my butt at the same time. Genius!
Building on the purple top and the grey sweater, this new scarf from Target is the perfect final touch. I love the colors- and it seems to tie the whole look together. To complete the look, I have on black ballet flats (to match the black in the scarf) and a very small arm party 0f silver bracelets (to match the grey sweater). That’s it… now I’m off to work! Have a great Monday!
Jeans: Anthropologie, Top: Nordstrom, Cardigan: J Crew, Scarf: Target, Shoes: Nordstrom (Tory Burch)
Sorry for the delayed post, but I lost my internet connection while on my girl’s weekend. Thankfully, I am home now and re-connected.
Thought it might be fun to show a pic of my girlfriends and what they were wearing as we toured Leavenworth!
Here is my outfit for the day:
Jeans: Gap, Tank: Express:, Shoes: Target, Necklace: Forever 21, Belt: Target
I’m on a girl’s weekend in beautiful Leavenworth, Washington. This little town is built like a Bavarian village. It is so cute-and if you ever get the chance to visit, go for it.
It’s going to be 86 degrees today, and we are going to do lots of walking, sightseeing, wine tasting and shopping, so I wanted to wear something very comfy and cool. I chose this print dress from Target. I bought this on the clearance rack for $10, and I think it is perfect for today. The vibrant print allows it to stand alone- I simply paired it with a cute necklace and sandals. And I’m off… Have a great Saturday!
Pardon the wheelbarrow in the background- we are definitely in the county!
I’m loving this weather, it’s fall, yet it’s still warm enough for skirts without tights! To be honest, I’m not a huge fan of tights. But, as I venture on this fashion journey- and as much as I love skirts- I’ll probably have to embrace the tights look as soon as it gets cold.
But, for now- this is what I’m wearing. I paired a cute mini with a denim shirt. On the right I am a little buttoned up. A little prim for me!
On the left I threw a cute embellished t shirt on, then layered the denim (unbuttoned), rolled the sleeves (amazing what a difference this makes), tucked it in and added my cute leopard belt from Target. I’m wearing sandals because it’s supposed to be really hot today, but cute ballet flats would work as well.
Here’s what I’ve learned- it’s not necessarily what you wear, it’s HOW you wear it. Don’t you agree?
Pardon the lame title, but I struggle with coming up with a description of my outfit each day. Actually- this it my outfit for tonight.
I’m going to a friend’s jewelry party. I chose black skinny stretch pants as my base- then added a neutral shirt. On the right I’m showing my first option- which in my opinion doesn’t quite work. The long sleeves, high neckline and tight fit make this a little dated and frumpy.
On the left I have replaced this shirt with a much looser version. The neckline is a lot lower, there are cute button details and the sleeves also are an improvement. I added a cute necklace- and then to really play up the look added my faux fur vest. I love this vest- it just screams good times (maybe because I bought it for my 40th b day trip to Vegas).
Anyhow- I think this look is pretty cute… I’m wondering what a colored shirt would look like instead. Maybe a lovely plum. Stay tuned- I’ll try that in a few weeks.
Check out this site I linked up to today.
I’d been eyeing this striped dress from J Crew for a while now- (see picture at bottom
of page!) but it was too expensive for my budget (yes, I’m cheap!). I finally found a similar one on clearance at Sears (Lands End again!) and at first glance I passed it over. Here’s why: this is what it looked like when I tried it on (picture on the right!)
But, after careful thought- and a little trial and error- I decided to see if I could do some easy changes to make this more my style.
First off, I added a cute brown leather braided belt. This cinches the dress- making the fit more flattering. Next I rolled the sleeves to the elbow- the original length was awkward. I also threw on my favorite orange scarf. I LOVE orange and blue together- they are such a great combo. Finally, I traded out my Birks for some cute wedge heels. My friend, Livi, said she hates wearing dresses because she never knows what shoes to wear. A cute wedge heel in a neutral color is almost always a good choice.
Since I’m participating in Work it Wednesday, (where we show 1 item 3 different ways- although in this case, example #1 is a definite Don’t!)) I’ll show another option!
If it’s too warm for a scarf- a cute necklace also works:
Dress: Sears, Belt: American Eagle, Necklace: Kohls, Scarf: Thrifted, Shoes: Ann Taylor Loft
Dress below: J Crew