Yesterday I left my house at 3:30- got home at 7:00- and all I was doing was driving kids from one sporting event to the next (pick up from tennis, drive to basketball practice, drive to soccer game…). Over scheduled much?
Argh! On days like these I want to be dressed super comfy- and ready for anything,
Today’s outfit is a good example of that. It’s an easy outfit for running around town in- it’s casual & comfy- yet looks pulled together.
I like the look of the shirt tails peeking out- and I love the cable knit detail on this sweater- I even decided to skip a necklace and let the sweater speak for itself.
As for my jeans- these are my old favorites! They are Diva style from Old Navy (which I’m not sure if they are still making this style- these are old). They are straight leg jeans in a shorter length that I simply roll up to make them look cropped. They are the perfect casual jeans for running errands in!
Below is my personal list of 10 Fall Trends- and let me warn you- it may not be the most fashionable list around town- but it is a realistic and practical shopping list for anyone who wants to update their closet -as opposed to buying an entire new wardrobe with each new season- (yeah right?!).
First on the list:
1. Boots that can be worn with socks. My feet are cold all fall/ winter and while I love my ballet flats- a great pair of comfy boots can be an everyday staple.
2. Desert booties to alternate on the days when I’m not wearing the boots above!
3. A perfect chambray shirt- can be worn as a jacket, over a t shirt, under a sweater, thrown over a tank, layered under a cardigan… so many options and it goes with EVERYTHING!
4. Colored denim- last year I bought a gorgeous pair of plum skinny jeans at Anthropologie- then I chickened out and returned them. This year I am much braver (plus I found a pair at Target- so it wasn’t much of an investment). I can’t wait to wear them!
5. A scarf- that can be worn with anything! I love how a scarf adds so much personality to an outfit. It makes a plain boring shirt have some personality, plus it keeps me warm! Keep in mind- buy a scarf that has some bulk. Nothing is worse than an anemic scarf! I love floral patterns, but sometimes a nice neutral one is fun too!
6. A slouchy sweater- throw this on with some black leggings, a pair of boots and you are set for the weekend. I love the effortless, casual- yet stylish look!
7. A striped shirt! Yes, big surprise, huh?! I am a serious stripe fanatic and can’t seem to get enough of them. That’s ok… stripes are a classic look and you can never have too many!
8. A cool leather jacket! Last year I bought one at Marshalls, and I think I made a mistake. I was so excited about the price, that I sacrificed fit-as seen here! Find one that fits like a glove- is comfy- and is real leather. Nothing worse than a pleather jacket!
9. A shirt dress- I love this look! Paired with tights, boots, maybe a scarf and a cool handbag and you can run errands, attend meetings, go to lunch and look cool the whole time!
10. A cable knit sweater- again, this one is a classic. It goes with anything- is comfy and warm- and will never go out of style.
In looking over this list- I realize I have really been quite boring- nothing to flashy, to trendy, to daring… oh well, let’s face it- my style is American Classic and I can’t change who I am! All I can say is: love it or leave it! If you love it- thanks~ please take a minute to write me a little comment! You have NO IDEA how much they mean to me! Seriously, every time I hear from a reader I am thrilled that someone has actually read my blog, liked what they saw and taken the time to write me! 🙂
If I forgot something- please let me know that too… I’ll happily update my list- or create another one in a few months!
Linking up to Pleated Poppy for What I wore Wednesday! Be sure to check out all the other cute sites!
Since these pants are so bright and so attention seeking, I think pairing them with something subdued is a good idea.
However, as you can see on the right- a plain white t shirt is a little too subdued.
On the left I’ve opted for this cute crisp white cable knit sweater- and to add a little interest I have a chambray shirt peeking out underneath. I’ve also added a necklace and then my leopard flats.
Gotta run and get the kids up. My son leaves for camp today (outdoor ed through the school), so it’s a big day- and its raining… of course! Glad I got him some rain pants on sale at REI yesterday! Hope he wears them! 🙂
My sisters arrived yesterday after a very turbulent flight- so we had a few glasses of wine to calm our nerves…
Hence, we’re off to a late start today! LOL!
Here’s pic from last night- wearing our jammies and sipping our wine. We look pretty comfy, right?
Today we are going to hit the town and decided to dress in the theme of chambray. Each of us is wearing a different version of the same idea- a chambray shirt being the focus.
My older sister, Erin, has paired hers with red skinny jeans. She is a great example of how a large breasted, bigger tummy gal can wear skinny jeans (size 30). Paired with this tunic style shirt and pretty necklace, her legs look skinny and her boobs and tummy are hidden- she looks amazing.
I’m in the middle with a chambray shirt under a blue cable knit sweater. I’ve paired them with my cream cords and my Khol’s booties, and then I borrowed this cool bracelet from my sis.
Last is my little sis, Kara, who has on skinny jeans, a chambray shirt in a different wash and a grandpa sweater. She was worried she looked boring, but I don’t think so. I think she looks classic. Notice the all the details in her look- she has on an amazing belt, beautiful necklace and a gorgeous bracelet.
Not to mention her amazing shoes. These are the J Crew version of mine- (mine were around $40, hers were over $200) so definitely a splurge, but they are so stinking cute- and honestly they are much more comfortable than mine.
Come back tomorrow to see what we put together using only items from their suitcase… should be a fun!
I’ve titled this post ‘Liar, Liar’ because just 2 short days after I declared I would no longer be buying items from Old Navy- I go and buy this sweater.
Let me explain.
My son is really into skinny jeans- and Old Navy was having a denim sale ($10 for kids jeans), so while we were in there, I spotted this sweater.
I decided I might as well try it on, and sure enough, I LOVE it!
That being said, I have paired it with more expensive items- like these cute cargos and this checkered shirt- so I’m not completely going against what I said the other day. Just a tiny bit…
I probably don’t even need to talk about the outfit on the right- in fact my husband took one look at me and said ‘you would NEVER wear that!’. But I like showing before and after pictures. And I swear, I really see women who dress like this. The buttoned up cardigan, the tennis shoes… not to be mean, but it looks wrong.
Wouldn’t you agree that this sweater on the left is much cuter than a traditional cardigan?
Now I need to figure out if I like tucked- or untucked… what do you think?
Pants: Louis Permilia, Shirt: Land’s End, Boots: Khol’s, Sweater: Old Navy
After a lovely week in Hawaii, I’m now happy to be home. Maybe ’cause I’m a Kansas girl, but to me, there’s no place like home!
Today’s outfit is a weekend, casual look. I’ve paired a denim shirt with a classic cable knit sweater and my boyfriend jeans. I then added my wedge boots to give the outfit an unexpected kick.
On the right you can see how this over-size sweater is not quite working for me. Similar to what I showed a few weeks ago- dressing in large clothes is not flattering, no matter what size you are- it will make you look enormous. Instead, opt for something more fitted- something that works with your figure- not against it!
The sweater on the left is a great example of why to always buy quality when it comes to a classic piece like this. This sweater was purchased by my grandfather in approx 1955 in Ireland. It was given to my mother- who then passed it down to me. It’s been sitting on the top shelf of my closet for years- and then I finally pulled it down, tried it on and wow!
I am so excited- it’s a beautiful piece that maybe I’ll pass down to my daughter one day… you think?
Sweater: Gift from Mom, Jeans: Gap, Denim Shirt: Martin and Osa, Boots: Marshalls